+234 808 3739 204 Contact Us

Cameraman injured as violence rocks Abia-Katsina tie

Katsina United cameraman Musa Bashir was on Sunday injured after some angry  fans of  Abia Warriors   attacked the visiting team after their 1-1 draw in their Premier League match at the Umuahia Stadium.

The Changi Boys equalised  through a penalty converted by Joshua Agboola, which cancelled out a 16th minute strike by Samson Obi for the hosts.

Eyewitnesses claimed that some of the home fans, who were not  happy with the penalty award for Katsina, accused  the match officials  of   bias towards the  northern side. Our correspondent also learnt that the fans were not happy that the referee  ruled out a goal scored by Abia for offside.

It was learnt that as Abia   officials moved to  protect the  match officials and  the visiting team from being attacked by the angry  fans, who were moving towards them, Bashir allegedly recorded  the incident.

Spokesman for  Katsina Wale Oye said Bashir was rushed to the hospital after the attack, adding that the incident had been reported to the League Management Company.

“The match went well until the final whistle when Abia Warriors fans became uncontrollable. In the process, some of the fans of the home team attacked our cameraman and beat him up and injured him in  his neck,” Oye told our correspondent on the telephone on Monday.

“The cameraman was trying to get a video evidence of the fans’ attempted assault on the match officials when they pounced on him. They seized his camera, took two tapes from the camera and also made way with his  mobile phone and money.

“We had to rush him to Federal Medical Centre in Umuahia for treatment at about 6:45pm and he was discharged at about 10.55pm. We have already sent an official report of the incident to the LMC.”

Spokesman for  the home team  Igwe Onuoha confirmed that Bashir was injured.

He said, “The match didn’t go down well with the fans because the referee’s decisions were questionable. Abia have drawn many matches at home and even lost some with fair officiating. Our fans have always taken pictures with the opposing team players.

“But that of Sunday was different. The club chairman and other club officials ensured that there was adequate security for the referees and Katsina players. We were informed while at the stadium that the cameraman of Katsina had been injured and rushed to the FMC in Umuahia.”

“We went there immediately to see him and ensured he was given prompt treatment and he was discharged that night. But we are sure that it wasn’t at the stadium that he was attacked because all the other officials were safe and none of them was attacked.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

If you Have Any Questions Call Us On +234 808 3739 204

%d bloggers like this: