Kaveh Solhekol delivers the latest news on Liverpool FC playmaker Philippe Coutinho’s future
Philippe Coutinho is still pushing for a move from Liverpool to Barcelona this summer, according to Kaveh Solhekol.
The Brazilian has been heavily linked with a transfer to Camp Nou in recent days as Barcelona look to find a replacement for Neymar before the transfer deadline next week.
Liverpool have so far remained firm in their stance that Coutinho is not for sale, with the playmaker having signed a new five-year contract with the Merseyside outfit back in Janunary.
However, Sky Sports News reporter Solhekol says that the player himself is still keen on a move away from Anfield and could make his feelings public in a bid to force through a transfer before next Thursday’s transfer deadline.
Speaking on Sky Sports News on Thursday morning, Solhekol said: “Staying at Liverpool and Philippe Coutinho still wants to go to Barcelona.
“Liverpool are still refusing to sell. Barcelona are now prepared to pay as much as £138m. But we’ve been told that Liverpool would not even sell him for £150m.
“Coutinho has already handed in a transfer request but Liverpool are standing firm.
“One option for Coutinho that has been discussed is a statement or interview making it clear he wants to leave. The thinking is that could put pressure on Liverpool to sell.
“At the moment, though, Liverpool’s position has not changed at all – Philippe Coutinho is not for sale.”
Liverpool are currently preparing to take on Arsenal at Anfield in a crunch Premier League game on Sunday afternoon.
The Reds secured their place in the group stage of the Champions League on Wednesday night after beating Hoffenheim in the play-off round.
The Merseyside outfit will be hoping to challenge for the Premier League title this season after they finished in fourth place last term in Jurgen Klopp’s first full campaign in charge at Anfield.