Man City are weighing up a second bid for the Northern Irishman
Coveted defender Jonny Evans IS training at Manchester City, but West Bromwich Albion fans shouldn’t panic just yet!
The 29-year-old has not yet featured for the Baggies this season, but has been passed fit to join up with the Northern Ireland squad ahead of their World Cup qualifiers.
Michael O’Neill’s squad, Evans included, has reported for training today – at Manchester City of all places.
City are weighing up a second bid for Evans having had an initial offer of £18 million rejected earlier this month.
Leicester City have returned with a second approach, amounting to £21 million, which has been flatly dismissed by the Baggies.
In his Stoke City programme notes, Evans said he remained “committed to the Albion” despite all the speculation and was “proud to be captain”.
Baggies boss Tony Pulis said Evans had been “close” to recovering from his hamstring injury in time to play against Stoke yesterday.
Pulis suggested Evans would be fit for Northern Ireland’s games and just hopes he’s still a West Brom player when he returns from international duty.
“He would have been ready in a couple of days’ time,” Pulis said of his star defender’s injury.
“But we’re hoping he will be fine when he comes back from the international break.”
Evans has been called up for national service alongside Albion team-mate Chris Brunt, but Gareth McAuley has been omitted from the squad while he recovers from a thigh injury.
Albion are confident McAuley will shake off the injury, sustained during Northern Ireland’s last international fixture in June, in time for the game at Brighton a week on Saturday.
Northern Ireland will use Manchester City’s training facilities today and tomorrow before flying out to San Marino on Wednesday for the game on Friday.
The Green and White Army will travel back to Northern Ireland over the weekend ahead of their crunch clash against the Czech Republic at Belfast’s Windsor Park on Monday.